Tuesday, October 19, 2004

From "What DO I Know"


I agree with you 100%!


 


W - The President




Lately I've been noticing these stickers on vehicles all over Atlanta. For a while I didn't pay much attention to them, for I assumed they were advertisements for W Hotels. It wasn't until seeing one up close that I realized they were actually a clever, and in my mind groundbreaking political ad for George W. Bush.


The design is what intrigues me most. Instead of the typical red, white and blue spot colors and rippling American flags, this 'identity' is squarely aimed at the high-end boutique, Saks Fifth Avenue / Kenneth Cole urbanite. The stickers aren't the traditional rectangular shape either, but a crisp, bold square block with a black (!) background and reverse type. They're completely devoid of obviousness, and much more abstract with emphasis on a large, simple, capital 'W' instead of the name "Bush."


And then of course there is the subhead -- "The President." Not "For" President, but "The", as if there isn't a choice in the matter. "W" -- for all intents and purposes -- isn't a person per se, but a mindset.


I've mostly seen the 'W' stickers on the back windows of the type of vehicles you would expect -- Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes, and all the rest. The SUV crowd seems to prefer the traditional red white and blue variety, which are often times accompanied by even more flags.


You couldn't pay me to put one (or any Bush sticker) on my car, but nonetheless, I'm impressed by the idea. I've never seen a political campaign veer so far from the norm -- in color, shape, typography, and content -- that has pulled it off as well as these do.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home