Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I agree...

I apologize in advance for what may sound like an insensitive rant, but I have had enough of the grandstanding politicians and the news media spewing utter nonsense about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I have seen too many reports on TV and read them online, and I am simply fed up.

The first dumb-ass quote I read was from the Mayor of Biloxi, MS. He said: “This is our tsunami.” No. No it is not.

Next, some other politician from the area - who was wearing a suit and tie doing all the hard work I guess - was on NBC news. This bozo said: “It’s like downtown Baghdad.” Actually, I don’t think that it probably is anything like downtown Baghdad.

Finally, I just read the following quote on CNN.com. “Gov. Haley Barbour compared the devastation to a nuclear blast Tuesday after touring the coast. ‘I can only imagine that this is what Hiroshima looked like 60 years ago,’

Let’s recap. Hurricane Katrina has taken the lives of around 150 people at the time of this posting. Unfortunately, that number will rise much higher (possibly into a few thousand) but let’s use the number 150 for now.

According to the lowest estimate I can find, the tsunami triggered by the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake in December of 2004, killed 200,000 people. Those 200,000 people did not have any warning nor any time to evacuate. I fail to see how Hurricane Katrina can be compared the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake tsunami on any level. Of course, the Mayor of Biloxi will surely cite his leadership abilities throughout this disaster when it comes time for re-election. I wonder if there is any motivation there?

read more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home